Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Mania

So as I stood Mother's Day in the face, I was reminded of the many years that this day was a celebration that included the worst food choices.  For years I enjoyed the very commercialized "Mother's Day Brunch" which has always seemed ridiculously overpriced.  On almost any other Sunday that same meal was $10.00 a plate cheaper.


Last year I told my family I didn't want to waste money going to Sunday brunch and that I preferred to do something more intimate.  It was a perfect day as they blindfolded me and put me in the car.  We drove for what seemed like an hour, before I was directed blindly on a path.  I walked for about 10 minutes with my blindfold on and when finally I came to rest, I saw my 4 daughters and husband Alan with a beautiful picnic spread and game boards.  Ironically, they drove me only 5 minutes down the road, very sneaky.  I will forever hold that Mother's Day in my heart as it was the intimate non-commercial day I had hoped for.

This Mother's Day was very different.  First off 2 of my daughters went to bed between 4:00 and 5:00am so I knew my usual coffee in bed was not going to happen.  I got up and made my coffee, and was really okay with not being waited on.  There would be no breakfast in bed which did start my last years day and making my coffee myself was in order.  My youngest daughter stumbled out of bed saying "sorry" and I said no worries.  There is bigger things to worry about it life than making my coffee.  I decided to start my day going to the store and taking advantage of the sales of Mother's Day.  I needed new pants and undies desperately since I had lost a pants size away at Fitness Ridge.  I asked my youngest if she would go with me.  I was happy to go shop a little bit while the rest of my family got their much needed sleep.

On my return, I had my morning oatmeal which is a ritual with me.  My oldest daughter arrived at the house as well.  If the weather was warm like the previous Mother's Day we would have been packing a lunch grabbing blankets and games and heading out the door for a hike and picnic.  Unfortunately it was freezing and windy and I had no intention of sitting outside.  We struggled with ideas of what to do, and all I knew is I wanted to MOVE.  After about 45 minutes of contemplating, I said "bundle up, I want to walk".  We headed out on a path near my house that is about a 7 mile round trip walk.  Although very cold and windy, with our continual movements we stayed warm and it was a very enjoyable walk.  I was really pleased to see that I had about a 1,000 calorie burn walking.  My Mother's Day's past, that would have been at least a 1,000 calorie gain at my Sunday brunch.  We ended the day at our favorite Italian restaurant for dinner.  I was able to enjoy some wine with dinner followed by an enjoyable meal that didn't include pasta.  I even splurged on some dessert.  Everything I ate was portioned controlled.  And by that I mean, I decided to eat a portion of my food, not all of it.  I have enough left overs to make a great lunch.

Since I left Fitness Ridge, I have taken what I learned and brought it into my own life.  Everyday consist of food and exercise choices that I must live with.  My rewards come in many packages, greater health, smaller clothes and just an overall radiance that everyone is noticing because I feel great about my accomplishments.  It keeps me driven, I intend on being in the best shape of my life in the here and now.  I may be 50 but I intend on looking and feeling years younger.  It is completely up to me to make that a reality!  The only one that can make it happen is ME, so I will celebrate ME by following along this path.  Celebrate ME, and by that I mean celebrate YOUYOU CAN DO IT!  Believe in YOURSELF!

5 comments:

  1. Incredible! You are such an inspiration!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cat for continuing your Blog about fitness after FR!! You are such an inspiration. Bringing what you learned home from FR and being able to apply it to YOUR life and making it work for the long haul is, I think, the very best success of your stay at FR! WOW! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A BIG thank you to you both for your comments. I really appreciate knowing that I am inspiring others. Sometimes I wonder because of the lack of comments that I receive. And when I get the comments it once again gets me motivated to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still loving your blog and the beautiful photos! Do you just eat oatmeal plain or jazz it up a little?
    I'm an oatmeal girl too, usually add a couple of prunes in the bottom of the bowl, stir in lots of cinnamon and a half of a chopped apple, then a couple of crumbled walnut halves on top, then soymilk. So yummy!
    Now that I'm at FR, I'm really enjoying their granola and will be bringing that recipe home!

    ReplyDelete