Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Being Forced to Slow Down

On my other blog, http://countdowntobiggestloserresort.blogspot.com I mentioned in one of my early post how I wanted to keep moving while I could.  We take for granted that we can get up and move unlike many who are confined to wheel chairs and such.

Today I sit here frustrated due to a recent injury I incurred when a coffee cup fell out of my cupboard and a piece of it hit my foot and sliced open the top.  I had made plans to go hiking with a Fitness Ridge alumni, which was planned for over a month.  In fact, she was on her way to my house at the time of my accident.  Our hike, swim and lunch turned in to a visit to the emergency room and lunch.  It was an enjoyable day but I couldn't help but think how instead of my calories in ~ calories out, I was simply looking at calories in.  The doctor said I was required to stay off my foot and elevate it as much as possible for the first 3 days.


Of course it was also Memorial Day weekend and plans were made to hike, swim and BBQ with the family.  Again my mind was tortured by the knowledge of calories in vs. NO calories out!  I would be lying if I said that I did my body good this weekend past.  I feel that sense of doom that has come in the past when I felt myself slipping away from my driven good health.  The days of passing by the scale and saying "no thank you you have nothing good to say to me today".

I have stepped on the scale to keep me in check during this sluggish time.  A part of me is fearing falling back into the bad habits of yesteryears.  I thank the Lord above for the ability to move and keep moving.  I appreciate the fact that this is a temporary set back and am making plans to get my move on as soon as I get the okay from the doctor.

With all the great habits I have taken on in my life these past 5 months I refuse to fall back in to the bad habits I so easily set in the past.  I find holding on to the positive is what keeps me from falling back.  First of all, I am proud to be down 35 pounds, well truth is, I am down 34 pounds now.  Yes it did strike me sadly when I stepped on my scale and saw weight gain.  But still the positive changes I have made are shining through.
I feel like a new person, I like what is looking back at me in the mirror not only is the reflection a much smaller one, it is a confident one.  And the only thing that can take that away from me is ME.  And I am just not going to let it happen.  So this temporary set back is time for me to think about what is next in the way of making myself even healthier.  I still have 31 pounds I want to lose and I would like to set a goal of losing at least 6 of those pounds in the month of June.  It is a reasonable weight loss and I CAN DO IT!

As I start the month of June, I think the beginning of a month is a great time to reflect on what you did the month before, and what can be improved.  If your food and exercise seem to be slowing down, be sure to write down everything you eat each day to see if you really are keeping your calories where you think you are.  I found that to be a great way to keep me in check with my food.  Add a little more exercise whenever you can.  I am a California native and do not like losing my outdoor time in the winter.  I really appreciate this warmer weather when it is here.  I am looking at buying 2 kayaks so I can add some upper body work outs on the water.  I will continue to walk and hike a minimum of 5 days a week.

This is my personal pledge to myself for the month of June:

I will pay closer attention to my food intake and calorie counts.
I will make sure to add a good calorie burn at least 5 times a week.
I will spend less time at my desk at home.  I will give myself a time clock for the internet so I get moving more.
I will price kayaks and hopefully be able to afford getting them this month.

A great way to take care of yourself is to make promises and keep them.  So here is to making healthy positive promises.


3 comments:

  1. You are doing wonderfully. I am always encouraged to read your posts. Even when things get tough, you have such a positive outlook about the situation. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your foot! Best of luck to you on a VERY speedy recovery so you can get back out on the hiking trails while the good weather is here. How much down time do you think you will have to endure? Myesha said it well......you are always so positive. That is one reason your blog is so motivating.

    We just bought two Kayaks (at Costco) and we are really enjoying them. However, the way I have been using them they are more relaxing than a workout as I have not been paddling very hard and fast.

    Sounds like you have a great plan for June. I too am trying to shake things up a bit. I just took a Vegan cooking class so I think I will head in that direction for health and hopefully weight loss.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on getting the stitches removed in about a week. It is extremely sore and isnt healed yet, but as soon as it is, my feet are moving again!

    Thanks for the awesome comments!!

    ReplyDelete